Devotional reading is when God breaks into our lives as we read his word and speaks to us directly. This message is for us, but that message is not the meaning of the text at hand that we are reading. That meaning is discovered by studying. We may share the devotional word as a personal word for us with others, but it is abusive to share it as the intended meaning of the author which the first hearer would have heard.
The second is informed reading in which we learn to fill our toolbox with appropriate tools to help us come to grips with the message of God in the Old and New Testament. Both are necessary for a healthy life of living into his Story. Learning to live into and within God’s Story as an actor/actress, playing out the part God has given us with improvisation and imagination can change the culture in which we live.
Here are some resources to help you with an informed reading.
- God’s EPIC Adventure (Winn Griffin)
- God Has Spoken, But What Has He Said? 3 Reasons For and 3 Approaches to Hearing God in Scripture (Winn Griffin: Kindle Edition)
- How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth (Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart)
- How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour (Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart)
- The Beauty Behind the Mask: Rediscovering the Books of the Bible (Chris Smith)
- Saving the Bible from Ourselves (Glenn R. Paauw)
Take a moment and become a patron for Winn Griffin on Patreon!
■ First, click on the button below.
■ Second, on the Patreon page, click on Patreon button in upper right corner.
■ Finally, follow the instructions there.